Building links is an important part of online marketing, as it can direct targetted traffic to your site, but also improve your ranking on the three main search engines (Google, Yahoo, and MSN (Live)). It can also increase your PageRank, which is helpful toward how you appear in the Search Engine Results Pages (SERP). More likely though, it will help you if you happen to sell text links or blog posts. There are many ways to build links and here are just a few.
1. Submit Press Releases: A simple press release about your website’s launch can be released to several PR websites, who will then distribute it to various online news sites.
2. Reciprocal Links with Similar Websites: It is very important that you only exchange with sites that are highly related to your content. Google is stating that they view link exchanges as schemes to be avoided. You may not get much of value, other than potential targetted traffic. You can find link partners by emailing them directly or searching through webmaster forums, such as Digital Point Forum.
3. Comment on Other Blogs: Start commenting on relevant and popular sites in your niche. It is very important that you do not spam the comment section. Likely, the comment will be blocked or not approved. This will increase the likelyhood that the webmaster will implement ‘nofollow’ on their site and further comments will be of little or no value. Instead, write a relevant comment. Try to avoid using keyword names in place of your name when commenting. This will probably cause the moderator to not allow your comment. Again, if the comment is set to nofollow, the link will not count for most search engines.
4. Social Bookmarking/Voting Websites: Various social voting websites, such as Netscape or Digg have a high PageRank and can direct a lot of traffic your way. This is especially true if you publish content that is particularly interesting.
5. Forum Signatures: Sign up for as many forums of related content as you can find and that are active. Emphasis should be placed on forums that allow signature links, especially if they are not nofollow.
6. Create a Tool, Theme or Widget: Write or pay someone to write a useful tool and host it on your site. It could either reference your site in the widget, thus creating a backlink, or users may like it so much that they will link to it from their site or forum posts. Designing Wordpress or similar themes and placing your link in the footer is a great way of creating backlinks, as webmasters use them for their sites.
7. Submit your web site to Web Directories: This can be a very monotonous process, however it can possibly net you several hundred backlinks. An alternative would be to hire someone to manually submit your site to directories. The main ones to consider paying for would be Yahoo Directories and BOTW.com. You can also try to get it added to the DMOZ, but this can take 1-2 years!
8. Article Submissions: Write articles on your niche topic and submit them to article directories. At the footer of these articles would be your backlink. There is the potential that you will get some targetted traffic also from the readers of your articles, as they are published on related websites.
9. Blogs on Other Blog Platforms: Use your blogs or hire/find others to mention your site on their blog. You may get some targetted visitors and it will count as a backlink. In other words, if you have a network or simply one blog, you can link to your other sites. Another option is to find other bloggers and get them to do a blog post about your site. There are many people that will blog for a fee. Take a look at Payperpost.com, for example.
10. Squidoo Lenses: Making a Squidoo Lens is an easy process that could earn you some extra money, but more importantly, it counts as a backlink. A Squidoo Lens is basically a one page website that you can easily design via their helpful Squidoo Lens wizard. Your Squidoo Lens can be used to talk about a topic that you enjoy, a business, or a product. In addition, you can reference Amazon or Ebay products and earn a commission. You can then build links back to your site or sites from your lenses.